Rood

• Commissioner
RE: Retirement roster
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:45:36 am »
Denied-

Did not file with NFL.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 01:27:46 pm »
Remember about the Finley situation... It is really SUCKS that a player didn't file retirement and yet hurt your salary cap!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 11:00:17 pm »
Same thing happened to me with Tony Gonzalez when he didn't officially retire until over a year later so I was stuck with his 2 million the whole time.

Quote from: 'Stewart' pid='5154' dateline='1455560866'

Remember about the Finley situation... It is really SUCKS that a player didn't file retirement and yet hurt your salary cap!!!

Donatich

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 11:36:38 pm »
Yeah it seems like 1/4 of this league were "victimized" with this rule. NFL teams don't have to pay them (Finley, Gonzalez, and Lynch) when they retire. When I joined, you guys keep on saying this is exactly like NFL. In this case, I don't see how this is similar to NFL rules. Green Bay didn't pay for Finley the year he missed. Atlanta did not pay for Gonzalez the year he missed. Why should we pay ourselves? Doesn't make any sense for me.

Obviously it's too late to make a proposal, but we definitely need to revisit this. Commish should grant us permission when a player announces retirement, but if he comes back, we must take on that player and adjust our roster accordingly. That means some cuts and trades to have a valid team.

Talk to you all next year on this rule.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 02:30:00 am »
FYI, Atlanta did pay him when he is retired for the first year... That was part of the agreement.

Stein

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 08:00:55 pm »
I wouldnt agree to a change unless the change is in effect in 3 years from now...  I had to suffer for two years before trading him to a team who have more cap than I do with a deal that I had no choice.   Only few weeks after that- Finley decided to announce retirement.  Gee - thanks but its what it is...  You are lucky - you can waive him next year only if he really retire or not... :)

Rood

• Commissioner
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 08:08:12 pm »
I m not in favor:

That will make sure owners to control their signings. It's so easy to sign 4 years and if he takes retire then move retire roster in easy life.

I have AP I could sign him 4 years but have to be wise don't want to be stuck.